Friday, August 28, 2009

8-29-09 Clayton Farm and Community Market Newsletter


Email claytonmarket@earthlink.net with any questions, comments, article contributions or to get your own weekly copy delivered to your inbox. The Clayton Market is located at the Clayton Town Square at the corner of Main and O’Neil Street in Downtown Clayton. We are open every Saturday, April-October 8am-1pm.

Call for 2010 Clayton Market Board Members: The Clayton Farm and Community Market is governed by an independent board of advisors. If you are interested in joining the Clayton Market Board for the 2010 calendar year please email us at Claytonmarket@earthlink.net. Job description coming next week.

What to do with all that basil: I bought some basil from the Clayton Market vendors last spring, and it did well….very well. I have basil everywhere. BJ from Sunday Morning Farm told me I could harvest it, wash and dry and then freeze it. She said freeze it in small portions using an ice cube tray or muffin tin. It sounds a whole lot easier than drying it, and BJ said will have a fresher flavor when I am ready to use it this winter. I’ll let you know in next April’s newsletter how it turned out. Do you have leftovers from Market plants? If so, email and let me know how you are preserving them.

Dates Open for Events: Can you teach us something about gardening or preserving? Can you or your group sing or dance? I am personally interested in anyone willing to set up a quilt and teach me how to make patchwork quilts or other crafts. A lot of our crafts are being lost to my generation and I think this is the perfect venue to pass on the knowledge. We would love to have you in our entertainment tent. Send us an email and let us know your availability.

Free Soil Sample Kits Available at the Market: Now’s the time to get your free soil sample kits. The NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Science gets backed up in the spring, but waiting times to find out what goodies are in your soil are much shorter in the fall. Stop by this week for a box and instructions.

No comments: