North Carolinians can save money by purchasing items like clothing, school supplies and computers during the state’s sales tax holiday that begins on Friday, Aug. 7 and runs through Sunday, Aug. 9.
- Clothing, footwear, and school supplies of $100 or less per item
- School instructional materials of $300 or less per item
- Sports and recreational equipment of $50 or less per item
- Computers of $3,500 or less per item, and
- Computer supplies of $250 or less per item will be exempt from sales tax.
The holiday begins at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 7 and lasts until 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 9.
Note: the specific types of items that are exempt from sales tax are defined in detail for the holiday. Items are not exempt from sales tax just because they are required by a child’s school or sports team.
Go to http://www.dor.state.nc.us/taxes/sales/salestax_holiday.html for more details on the 2009 sales tax holiday, including a technical bulletin that specifies the items that are exempt from sales tax.